Once Upon a Time, two elderly gentlemen knocked on our door. They were missionaries wanting to spread God’s word and were so polite, lovely really, that I chatted with them a few minutes. We spoke about God and faith and how the two are becoming increasingly pushed aside in culture and society. They had some pamphlets, but I told them I was secure in my faith and to save them for others who might need them more. I thanked them for sharing God with others, we shook hands, and they left.
A few minutes later I had an idea: I should have offered those
nice gentlemen some bottled water and snacks for the road! It was a thought
that came out of nowhere and so I felt it was divinely inspired. It was not too
late!
I gathered the items and looked out the window. The
gentlemen were no longer on our street. No problem! I jumped in the car and
drove around the neighborhood looking for them.
And I could not find them anywhere.
Huh. I drove back home a little deflated because, after all,
hadn’t I been answering a spiritual prompting? Hadn’t I been obedient to the whispers
of the Holy Spirit spurring me into action?
Apparently not. Truthfully, I felt a little more than a
little foolish. This is not the first time that I believed I was listening to
the Holy Spirit, acted on it, only to arrive at a complete and total dead end.
A few days later came the announcement that Robert F.
Kennedy, Jr. had suspended his presidential bid and was offering his support for
“the other side.” “Political suicide,” said some. “A betrayal,” said others. “Foolish,”
said many. There were opinions and commentaries aplenty.
But I was not listening to any of it because in the midst of
all that hoopla I saw a man who was brave enough to forge a new path and stand
by his convictions, all without knowing how this would all play out. Whatever one may think of his decision, it was incredibly
courageous to leave a party he was no longer comfortable with and to do so
despite the protests of his very influential political family. On the current
political stage where there is so much talk without substance, RFK Jr. listened to his inner convictions and gave us
something different … whether or not you think him a fool for doing so.
Again, this is not a political commentary, but it did get me
thinking: one cannot know if a conviction, or a spiritual prompting, is valid
unless it is acted upon. And does it not take faith to take that step when
the outcome is unknown? And courage to stand strong against the naysayers?
In the ways of the world, a “yes” to any of the above can be seen as foolish.
But that can be a good thing.
Thinking back to that day with the missionaries, I see now
that it did not matter my actions did not turn out the way I had imagined they
would, that my good intentions fell flat.
Instead, what mattered was I felt a spiritual prompting, and
on blind faith I acted.
And sometimes, it is the action (and not the result!) that is the point.

No comments:
Post a Comment