But ... ick. Of all the Thanksgiving dishes, this is my least favorite. Sorry! For years it appeared on our Thanksgiving table, and for years everyone took a small spoonful -- a very tiny spoonful -- and moved on to more delicious dishes.
Then several years ago I thought: why do we keep making something no one really likes? So that year I served Bacon-Wrapped Green Bean Bundles instead. They were a HUGE hit, and the green bean casserole was quietly retired.
So, here is my recipe. You're welcome.
Bia's Bacon-Wrapped Green Beans
3/4 pound fresh, French-style green beans
1 pkg. pre-cooked bacon
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/8 tsp. soy sauce
1- Blanch green beans (do not overcook because they will continue cooking in the oven).
2- Drain beans. Place 8 beans on each bacon strip. Wrap bacon around the beans and place bundle seam down on a shallow baking dish.
3- In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, garlic salt, and soy sauce. Brush mixture over the green bean bundles.
4- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until warm.
NOTES:
1- Use the thin, French style green beans (keep the tips on). I get mine at Costco. Thick beans don't work well and don't present as nicely.
2- You can use regular bacon, but you will have to cook the bacon before assembling the green bean bundles (heat the bacon until cooked, but not crisp). I used to do it this way, but using pre-cooked bacon simplified my life.
3- To save time, I assemble the green bean bundles ahead of time (even the day before) then brush them with the sauce and place them in the oven before serving.
4- Green beans should be crisp and NOT mushy.
5- The recipe is easily doubled (or tripled).

1 comment:
Thank you! It's refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one that despises the green bean casserole. And I ADORE green bean bundles - a friend of mine introduced us to this recipe shortly after we met. I'd much rather sit down to a Thanksgiving (or any dinner really) that had these.
Post a Comment