Thursday, November 30, 2017

Christmas Facebook Poll: The Results

This past Monday I conducted a very informal Facebook poll. Basically, I posted the following photo and asked for help in deciding how to decorate our kitchen credenza for Christmas. The options included: A/ trees and greenery; B/ greenery only; and C/ trees only.






Here's how the voting went down:


A/ 27 votes
B/ 9 votes
C/ 4 votes
A/ or C/ 3 votes


There were also some issues ...


Issue #1: The light switch! Thanks to Mary Louise for bringing that up, and thanks for reminding me how annoying it is. That light switch, which is TWO FEET away from the edge of the doorway, limited us on what kind of artwork we could put on that wall; in other words, nothing HORIZONTAL. Boo light switch. We also have issues with floor registers -- our builder put one where any normal person would put a piece of furniture.


Issue #2: Baby Jesus! People were passionate about whether the infant Jesus should be placed in his manger, or hidden away until Christmas morning. In our family, we've always had baby Jesus in the manger, but for several years we kept the wise men in another room and every day moved them closer to the manger. But holy moly that was work trying to get the timing just right -- some days the Magi took baby steps, while other days they took giant steps. Baby Jesus in the manger or not, in the words of Tevya from Fiddler on the Roof it all boils down to one word: Tradition!


Issue #3: The snow! Several of you mentioned that you didn't like the trees because they were covered in snow and it doesn't snow in the Holy Land. Well, I had to look this up and, believe it or not, it does occasionally snow in Bethlehem. At an elevation of 2300 feet the area is dry but not necessarily hot, which means snowfalls do occur.


Issue #4 The snow! Truthfully, I have had those trees for years but never included them in any of our manger scenes. I have no problem with a snowy manger scene, but if there is snow on the trees then there should be snow on the greenery and on top of the stable. #AmIRightOrAmIRight?


Now before I reveal my decision, I will say I liked the fullness provided by the greenery, and I liked the coziness of the trees, but I didn't like them together (again, Issue #4) (also, I don't like things to be fussy). I waffled for a couple of days, but then this morning I decided on the greenery ... but more of it. I also went with the real stuff. So after I went foraging in my parents' back yard and a secret location in town (if you take me out for coffee I MIGHT reveal my secret stash) I came up with this ...








P.S. Now about that light switch ... just ignore it ;-)

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I like what you decided upon. I also agree - ignore the light switch.
And? In this house - and my mother's house - the baby Jesus was ALWAYS in the manger. It wasn't until a few years ago that I heard the baby *wasn't supposed* to be there until Christmas morning...seems like the whole Elf on a Shelf may be culprit behind that rumor. And so as always, when I pull out my creche I will put the baby Jesus in the manger and the Magi will be surrounding him.

Mary Louise said...

It's perfect! I have the register problem just as you walk in my front door! Should have moved it during our renovation but other items took priority! The scene is what is important and the fact that you have it up!!
Merry Christmas.
ML