Friday, December 8, 2017

Life Lately: The Hygge Version of My Favorite Things

My kind of weather


The past few days have been cold, dark, and drizzly; in short, my kind of weather. I don't know what that says about me, but I like anything which promotes hygge (the Danish concept of rediscovering the joy of simple things) (pronounced hoo-gah). So bring on the cold, dark, drizzly weather which makes me want to batten down the hatches. Bring on the cable knit sweaters, fireplaces, hearty stews, and mugs of hot chocolate.






Lampposts


A glowing lamppost always reminds me of The Chronicles of Narnia. I think I found one near our house which is true to the one in the movie. Now we just need some snow ...


"It will not go out of my mind that if we pass this post and lantern, either we shall find strange adventures or else some great changes of our fortunes."
~Lucy Pevensie (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)










Amazon Prime


One click orders, free postage, two day delivery ... need I say more? Amazon Prime also helps with Hygge because it keeps me out of the stores and at home by the fireplace wearing my fuzzy, slouchy socks and drinking a cappuccino.





Christmas cards


I love sending them, I love receiving them. What I find beautiful is that behind every card, someone out there was thinking of us at a given moment when they wrote our name on the envelope and signed the card, and by the same token we are thinking of someone out there with every card we write.






Corner Christmas trees


While I love our big, family tree straddling our kitchen and living area, it's our small corner trees that really make things hygge-like.


The lights on these Alpine trees are the only lights on when I come downstairs in the morning. I love how they illuminate this painting, purchased frame and all from an antique store going out of business. It was one of those times I was in the right place at the right time.





This little tree is a new addition in our bedroom, a nod to the simplicity of Scandinavian Christmas trees.





Hygge:
Building sanctuary and community, inviting closeness and open heartedness, creating well-being, connection and warmth, belonging to the moment and celebrating the every day.




1 comment:

Gigi said...

And here's where we differ - cold, dark and drizzly days - particularly those that linger make me unhappy. I can deal with the cold as long as there is some sun in there somewhere.

So, if I continue to leave my main tree up - unadorned but for the lights, I can call it hygge?

Just kidding, that sucker will be decorated this weekend.

And darn it - Christmas cards! I love sending and receiving but am so behind the eight ball on those this year...adding to the ever growing list.