I have often said that preparing for a trip is almost as fun
as the trip itself. In the months leading up to that pile of luggage by the
back door I applied for a brand new passport, purchased some new clothes,
and managed to pack everything I needed for a 10-day trip to Italy into a carry-on. For
months I gathered maps, read guide books, conducted Google searches, made reservations,
and planned daily itineraries; in short, I did everything I could to help guide
me into the unknown, and it was terribly exciting to imagine the possibilities and
anticipate the adventure.
But it was also all kinds of scary.
A year earlier I had announced on Facebook that my sister
and I would be hosting a Girls’ Trip to Italy, and after hosting two information
sessions, and after endless phone calls and emails and personal one-on-one
meetings, twenty-three women had signed up for an adventure to Rome and the
Amalfi Coast. But as excited as I was that my dream of organizing and
sponsoring a trip to Italy was becoming a reality, I was also worried about all
the things that could go wrong: illness, lost passports, delayed flights, and
missed flights. I worried about whether everyone would get along, or if I
could deliver on a promise (seeing the Pope, for example), or how I would get
everyone around our first free day in Rome where I had booked a tour of the
catacombs and, later that evening, dinner and a nighttime tour of the city. I
worried about terrorist attacks and railway strikes. There were so, so many
things that could go wrong.But I continued to pack and I continued to plan. And I was both excited and worried.
Then something happened the morning of our departure as I
stood between two worlds – the one I was coming from (familiar and safe) and
the one I was going to (full of the unknown). As I reached into my purse to
check (yet again) if I had my passport, I remembered the Dutch proverb that
goes like this: He is who outside his door, already has the hard part of his
journey behind him. It's a proverb about taking that first step which, without
a doubt, is the hardest step of all.
So that’s exactly what I did – I picked up my suitcase and
took that first step out the door, and for the first time in months I was completely
and wholly at peace. I was on my way, come what may.
During this Advent as we embark on a journey connecting memory
and hope, I am reminded how any journey – spiritual, physical, redemptive, etc.
– begins with that first step. It may be the biggest step you may ever have to take, seemingly impossible and impossibly difficult; it may be a hesitant step, or a bold one; it may require a leap of faith. But in the end it's just a step.
And with that one step, you're on your way.
Looking out from my hotel balcony in Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast (southern Italy).

No comments:
Post a Comment