Tuesday, May 15, 2018

When NOT to count carbs

Yesterday my mom hosted a luncheon in honor of Sister Lorraine, a Polish nun visiting from Chicago. Seated around the table were five Italian women (Silveria, Rosanna, Gemma, Carla, and my mom, Massimilla), one British woman (Shirley), and me.






I love it when I get to hang out with these women because, let me tell you, they know how to live life to the fullest. Case in point: almost every one of them showed up to my mom's house carrying a bottle of wine.

Oh, yeah.


And they are funny!


They tell funny stories and tell funny jokes and are incredibly self-deprecating. They speak English one minute, Italian the next, and sometimes they combine the two and make up words which somehow make perfect sense.


At one point I realized there were a gazillion conversations going on at the same time, and when you consider there were only eight of us seated at the table ... well, it's mind boggling. And crazy. And all kinds of wonderful.


When I took out my iPhone to take a photo, they obligingly posed; afterwards, it was funny to see all these Italian women (and one British one) whip out their phones to take photos, too. Then they texted the photos to each other. And tried to send them via WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. It got a tad confusing, and before I realized what was happening I was holding three phones with instructions to do this and do that.


And then there was the food, which is always phenomenal. The problem was that I am currently practicing carb cycling and Mondays are always low carb days and my mom made pizza. Homemade pizza, with dough she kneaded that morning. Pizza with prosciutto and arugula, my absolute favorite. It was going to be hard to stick to my program.


Earlier that morning I looked in the mirror and gave myself a pep talk about the importance of steely resolve and resisting temptation and how I was only allowed two small slices of pizza. I mean it, I told myself in the mirror.


But seated with these wonderful women my steely resolve slipped just a little; HOWEVER, in my defense I dare anyone to sit at that table and NOT get caught up in the moment and just enjoy life.


So I had THREE slices of pizza with prosciutto and arugula. Oh, and apricot crostata for dessert.


La dolce vita ... what can I say?



3 comments:

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

I think you picked the perfect day to have carbs! You will remember the food and the fun forever. You chose wisely!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

You can tell there is a lot of joy that is infectious! If one should catch a disorder I think Joy should be it! Thank you for sharing!

Gigi said...

Carbs like that should NOT be resisted! Besides, there's always tomorrow to start again. It looks like y'all had so much fun!