Monday, June 25, 2018

Death of a Mockingbird

Like every summer since the beginning of time (well, since Timothy started grade school) I have insisted he have a summer reading regimen which includes both an afternoon and an evening reading time. Evidently I'm a mean mommy, but despite some genetic anomaly in which Timothy received all of Joe's engineering/math genes and NONE of my reading/poetic genes, summer is about books.


Amazingly, it's not a forced march anymore, although it used to be. There were past summers when reading meant setting a timer, or holding off on the Xbox until one more chapter, or making a bargain whereby a finished book meant a Dairy Queen treat.


Perhaps it's because he's maturing, or maybe it's because high school is looming large and scary in the fall, but these days he picks up a book (without prompting) at least twice a day. So far he's read Lois Lowry's The Giver, Mark Twain's Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and right now he's is in the middle of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Our goal is to finish up the summer with Homer's Odyssey.


Speaking of To Kill a Mockingbird ... it's been many years since I read it, and I  had forgotten how much I loved that book. But I also realized something. I'm several chapters ahead of Timothy, and I see now that we are going to have to sit down and discuss what rape means. Because I don't think he knows. And when you mix in racism, violence and cruelty, mankind doesn't look so ... kind.


And as much as I love talking about books with my son, as much as I relish these opportunities to explore themes and human nature, why does the thought of this conversation feel like the death of a mockingbird?

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I LOVE that book - but yes, those conversations are hard. But you might be surprised at his insights. My son is an avid reader - and we share the same taste in most books. I love discussing the books that we've both read.

Maria (also Bia) said...

With three sons, the oldest has my love of books. The second likes to read, but only certain genres. Our youngest ... a forced march.