Thursday, September 6, 2018

Bia-the-City-Girl Almost Dies

Yesterday I came home from a workout and found a black snake blocking my entrance to our back steps.

Or was it a black stick? I tiptoed closer ... nope, definitely a snake. Did Bia-the-city-girl panic? I did not. I am getting used to the scary, creepy, crawly wildlife that makes up our woodsy backyard and nearby canal trail.

So I picked up a pebble, and tossed it near the snake in the hopes it would slither away. It didn't move. I tossed another. Again, no movement.

So I crept closer and leaned down. A snakeskin! Fully intact, from head to tail. Although sufficiently creepy (after all, where was the snake who left his skin behind?) it was fascinating. I started to reach out to poke it, but stopped. Instead, I stepped over it and went inside.

Fifteen minutes later I had to get something from the garage and when I exited the back door ... WHERE WAS THE SNAKESKIN?

There were two options:

1- A wild and woolly squirrel (of which there are MANY in our backyard) took it. Dinner? Dessert?

or ...

2- I almost POKED A LIVE SNAKE WITH MY FINGER!!

That night during dinner I told my guys the snake encounter story, and Timothy thought it was funny. Joe wanted to know if I had been wearing my glasses, and Timothy thought that was funny, too. Then they both laughed.

No sympathy from those two. It wasn't meant to be a FUNNY story. It was a HORROR story! I mean, I could have been bitten and died a gruesome death right there in our backyard!

Next time I'm calling my dad. He rescues me from snake encounters.

Myrtle Beach, 2007

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Oh, I would have definitely called someone because there would be NO WAY I would step over it - molted skin or not. I don't have anything to do with snakes or frogs/toads - nope.