Would you rather read three books with 100 pages each OR one
book with 300 pages?
Doesn’t matter, does it? WELL, tell that to our son who is
horrified when he has to read a “gigantic book” (his words). The discussions we
have on this topic will make you laugh and cry. (And let’s not even
mention how this year he had to read TWO books simultaneously—Lord of the Flies in literature, and The Andromeda Strain in Biology.
Evidently, in the world according to Timothy you should only have to read in
literature.) (Life can be so unfair sometimes.)
“I’d rather read three books with 100 pages,” he says
seriously. “That way I can read even more books.”
Okay. I’ll give him that. Score one for Timothy.
But still. This is my son who, before he even starts reading a
book, first turns to the end to see how many pages it has.
Then this happened yesterday:
“You’re not getting me seven books for Confirmation, are
you?” he asked, referring to our family custom of giving books representing the
Gifts of the Holy Spirit as Confirmation gifts. “Because if you are, make sure
they’re not long ones.”
I know he was thinking of his cousin’s Confirmation last
year. Thomas—an avid reader—received The
Count of Monte Cristo as one of his Confirmation books. Timothy took one look at it and declared,
right there in front of everyone, that at 1312 pages it was The Worst Present Ever.
“Look, in this whole wide world I’m sure there are seven
books you will like to read,” I replied. “Besides, it’s a TRADITION.”
I was playing dirty. I had used the “T” word and no one argues with tradition.
Well, come Monday Timothy is going to have a heart attack when
he opens his seven books to discover Unbroken
(398 pages) and The Book Thief (550
pages). He is going to be truly horrified, which will make us all laugh. But
here’s the thing, once he gets past the number of pages, I know he’ll like
these books.
Besides, I did provide a balance with Of Mice and Men. It only has 107 pages.
Score one for Mom.
Timothy's Seven Books
The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Champions of Faith: Catholic Sports Heroes Tell Their Story by Thomas A. O' Toole

1 comment:
I am never horrified by how many pages a book has - my only concern is whether or not the author can hold my attention for that long. So far, Stephen King is hands down the winner for holding my attention with "gigantic" books.
Excellent choice of books for him. Congrats on his Confirmation!
Post a Comment