Thursday, December 5, 2019

In Which I Lecture My Guys About Football

This past Saturday, I lectured my guys.

About too much football. (And yes, I think there is such a thing.)

On Saturday morning my guys woke up and watched pregame shows. Then they watched football all afternoon, pausing only for lunch (which I provided). Late in the afternoon we attended Saturday night Mass, but the guys huddled in the car until the last minute listening to the Penn State game, and as soon as church ended and as we were walking to our car, they whipped out their phones to check the score. A quick dinner, and then it was football the rest of the night.

Whenever I walked in to tell them something, or ask a question, they would do that football watching thing: you know, where they turn their heads in my direction (as if they were listening) but keep their eyes glued to the television.

Football. All. day. long.

And so I sat them down and gave them a lecture. I used words like balance, stressed the importance of taking breaks, and pointed out that there are others in the family (uh, that would be me) who would like to do other things (like, have a conversation) (or go for a walk) (or watch a movie).

I think they got my point because they all grinned ... you know, like guilty little boys caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

Later, as we were reading in bed, Joe said that he would watch a Hallmark Christmas movie with me the next day.

STOP. IT.

Why, just that afternoon I had recorded the Hallmark movie, Christmas in Rome. And the thought of us watching a charming, but predictable, chick flick made me smile. This was going to be good. I might even make some hot chocolate. With marshmallows.

EXCEPT.

Except we woke up Sunday morning and NO CABLE. At all. No DVR. No nothing. When we called our cable company they said they'd send someone out on Monday (late afternoon).

So, I'm not really sure what the moral of this story is other than when Bia lectures ... things happen.

No comments: