When I say tiptoed, that's exactly what I meant. If you want to feel vulnerable, just create something (a piece of artwork, a book), put your name on it, and put it out there for scrutiny. Then, as you wait to see how it will be received, you worry about getting feedback just as much as you worry about NOT getting feedback. And oh! the questions we weave when we are trying to please: Will my relatives like it? Will people (outside my family) read it? Will people buy it? Did I share too much, or not enough? Should I do this, or that, or nothing at all to promote it?
But you know what? When I tiptoed into those waters I never imagined being carried on a current to new places and given the opportunity to meet new people. Book talks, emails from strangers, messages from friends, reviews and blurbs (Augusta Magazine "Hot off the Press", Ambassador Magazine "Italian American Reader), interviews (Voyage Atlanta, My Modern Italian Network) ... none of this would have happened if I had stayed on the shore.
And that is probably what I am most proud of--taking a chance, venturing into the unknown, being brave when I felt anything but.
So here I am a year out, and in the words of James Brown ... I feel good! And grateful. And humbled.
Christmas is around the corner, so here are several ways you can get a copy:
1- For locals, I keep copies here at home. And I'll even sign it for you ;-)
2- Amazon
4- And if you're flying out of The Augusta Regional Airport, pick up a copy at The Landings Gift Shop
Such kind reviews, notes, and messages!
Whenever I give a book talk, I always begin with the story of a fountain,
for generations of our family have stood in front of this fountain in Verona.



No comments:
Post a Comment