Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Presidential Potrait: Let's Discuss



The last time we were in Washington D.C. as a family, everyone had a say-so about our itinerary for the week.


Joe: a Washington Wizards basketball game
Jonathan: National Museum of American History
Timothy: National Air & Space Museum
Nicholas: National Museum of Art
Me: private tour of the U.S. Capitol via our congressman's office


Of course, you cannot go to Washington D.C. without visiting an art gallery, or two. You just can't. Luckily, my boys LOVE art museums; there is nothing they'd rather do. It's the highlight of any vacation.


Ha! In case you missed it, that was sarcasm at it's finest. Here's what usually happens at an art museum ...






Or, allow me to express this artistically ...






But as far as museums go, I have learned that visiting the presidential portraits at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery is very relatable and encourages contemplation. See ... here are my boys contemplating.






And here is Timothy who is even smiling. (Or maybe he's smiling because of the toy he is holding, the one we purchased at the Spy Museum.) (Now THAT museum they loved.)




This April we will be accompanying Joe on a work trip to our nation's capital and I have plans to once again visit the Portrait Gallery, if only to see the newly revealed portraits of former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama.


And since art inspires conversation, I have to ask: what do you think of them?


Before I could answer the question I had to do some research; I had to go beyond what is actually visible in order to delve into the story, meaning, and inspiration behind the art. 


In former President Obama's portrait, for example, the African lilies are a nod to his father's home country of Kenya, the Chrysanthemums are the official flower of Chicago (the start of his political career), and the Arabian jasmine thrives in Hawaii where the president spent his childhood. The presence of all these flowers challenges the viewer to grapple with the improbability of Obama's rise, and the way the president leans forward, his collar unbuttoned, denotes an openness which is in stark contrast to some of the earlier presidential portraits.


In Michelle Obama's portrait, her usually animated face is calm, almost as if she's at peace with her role during those eight years in the White House. Her long hair represents the low-maintenance glamour she was known for. Ultimately, this isn't a portrait of the Michelle Obama we know (in fact, it doesn't really look like her), but one of how she sees herself.


Interesting, yes? But knowing the story behind the art doesn't mean you have to like it, not at all. It does, however, give you a sense of appreciation for what the art is trying to say.


Which is where I am with the portraits. I appreciate them, but I'm not sure if I like them.


I'm still thinking about it ...






1 comment:

Gigi said...

The fact that Michelle's portrait doesn't resemble her AT ALL disturbs me. Yes, I understand that there is a story behind the art - but this is history - shouldn't the likeness resemble her?

I LOVE how enthusiastic your boys are to be visiting the art museums! ;-)