Friday, July 20, 2018

Haiku Who?

It started when my-brother-the-doctor, who should have been busy doing doctor-ish things, sent my sister and me the following text ...






to which I replied: Oh my gosh! I need that t-shirt! I'm always writing haikus ... it's my favorite form of poetry.


To which my sister replied:






And then they ganged up on me ...




Well. Well.


Ever since high school, I've loved writing haikus. Fast forward a few years when I met my blogging friend, Laura (Catholic Teacher Musings), who hosted a weekly haiku fest entitled Bad Haiku Friday which covered everything from Frito Bandito to Bunions. She got me thinking in haiku. She even sponsored a haiku competition; here was my entry and I'm PROUD that this snotty one won a category (grossest?). She even mailed me a prize.


Little boy sneezes
long, slimy, strands of grossness.
Where are the tissues??!!?



Then one year I instituted Haiku Summer with my family in which every Friday during family night everyone penned a haiku about ... whatever they wanted. The haikus were taped in the kitchen and it was so much fun reading about our summer in a progression of haikus.
Going up, up, and then up
while on a roller coaster.
Please! I change my mind.

Nonno and his shirt,
Yikes! a tourist from Hawaii.
We do not know him.




Also, during a family reunion/picnic that very same summer, I passed out 3 x 5 index cards and made encouraged everyone to write a haiku. This was my sister's:


Bia is the boss.
We do whatever she says,
Or else we don't eat.



Oh, haiku how I love you!


Back to my brother and sister, both of whom I love, but STILL. They have insulted the haiku, so like a good sister I'm going to haiku the heck out of them ...

This is my brother
who is also a doctor?
He is, really, I promise.

He's smart but also
fond of the poop emojii ...
so I wonder.



This is my sister
she is a librarian.
You have to whisper.

My travel buddy
who doesn't know how to read
so uses the men's restroom.



What does David know?
Or Laura, for that matter?
Nothing. Just ask me.

So this is my ode
the five-seven-five format
in Haiku. The end.



No comments: