With our two older
sons out of the house, my husband and I are grateful we still have the bambino,
the caboose, my baby. Except, the bambino-caboose-baby is 14 years old and
taller than I am. He’s also venturing into that vast wasteland of mood swings
and attitude better known as the teen years. But this time, after having gone
through this twice (and survived!), we know what to expect. We are better
prepared. We will know how to handle everything from caveman speech to
missed curfews. Right? RIGHT? Help me
out here, because when I stumbled upon this old post I'm not so sure …
After a week of
enduring what I referred to as Caveman Syndrome from the older boys – grunts,
monosyllabic words, slouchy posture – I embraced my limitations and browsed several
Catholic Parenting Web sites for advice.
One site emphasized how the responsibility for developing a healthy parent-child relationship rests primarily with the parent; that (like it or not) it's really up to us to keep the peace and maintain open lines of communication.
Okay, I get that. We’re the adults, we’re mature, we need to take the higher road. In other words, we are bigger than they are. So then, I would keep my communication lines WIDE OPEN.
Then there were the Old Testament references to the "rod of discipline” (Prov. 13:24; 23: 13-14) which, in the New Testament, becomes the staff used by shepherds, not as punishment, but as a way to corral and guide wayward sheep.
What a beautiful image. That’s exactly what my husband and I are trying to do as parents – guide our son in the ways of the world. Be a shepherd to sheep.
Unfortunately, as I was letting this beautiful image run through my mind, I happened to glance at my watch. The time in which my son, who had gone out with friends, was supposed to call home to check in had come and gone. No phone call whatsoever.
One site emphasized how the responsibility for developing a healthy parent-child relationship rests primarily with the parent; that (like it or not) it's really up to us to keep the peace and maintain open lines of communication.
Okay, I get that. We’re the adults, we’re mature, we need to take the higher road. In other words, we are bigger than they are. So then, I would keep my communication lines WIDE OPEN.
Then there were the Old Testament references to the "rod of discipline” (Prov. 13:24; 23: 13-14) which, in the New Testament, becomes the staff used by shepherds, not as punishment, but as a way to corral and guide wayward sheep.
What a beautiful image. That’s exactly what my husband and I are trying to do as parents – guide our son in the ways of the world. Be a shepherd to sheep.
Unfortunately, as I was letting this beautiful image run through my mind, I happened to glance at my watch. The time in which my son, who had gone out with friends, was supposed to call home to check in had come and gone. No phone call whatsoever.
It’s hard to keep open lines of communication when THEY FORGET TO CALL HOME.
Truthfully, in that very moment, I just wanted to take that rod, or shepherd’s staff, or whatever, and whack my son over the head with it.
Truthfully, in that very moment, I just wanted to take that rod, or shepherd’s staff, or whatever, and whack my son over the head with it.
How's that for a title? Not Sheep in the Meadows or Frolicking Sheep.
No, just ... Sheep.

1 comment:
Ah teen boys...I'm glad that's behind me. Although, truth be told mine was at his worst between about 11 and 14 - and between you and me, he's lucky he made it out alive!
Post a Comment