Readiness in Memory and Hope
Yesterday I pulled out my 2021 planner, something I do every year at this time. It's a beautiful planner. There are pages with quotes and blank spaces to write down goals; most importantly, 365 empty squares are lined up like stepping stones going forth into a year of tomorrows.
It dawned on me how, in big ways and in small, each of those stepping stones leads me on a journey propelled by Time which marches forward in seconds, minutes, days and years. With every breath, with every step, with every thought or action or prayer, I am on a journey.
We are all on a journey.
Sometimes the journey is planned and carefully mapped out, but other times it yanks and pulls and drags us where we do not want to go -- through illness, incarceration or grief as we recognize what without understanding why.
Sometimes the journey can be a battle with inner demons of self-doubt, alcoholism, or drugs. Sometimes it calls us to foreign lands, a new career path, marriage, or a religious vocation.
Often the journey is exciting and adventurous, but just as often it’s a whirlwind of ordinary with carpool, dinner, laundry, work, and children.
I turned the pages of my brand new planner, and as I filled in the squares with birthdays and anniversaries and family trips, I saw all the empty squares more as stepping stones of hope rather than blank squares of the unknown.
I then looked at my old planner, at the squares of yesterdays which were once tomorrows, and saw stepping stones of memory.
Tonight, we will light a candle to mark Advent’s passage, and I am grateful for this season with its gift of time to both recognize the journey and reflect on it -- to gather and learn and step forward in readiness. In his book, Seek that Which is Above, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI) describes Advent as a connection between memory and hope; that is, the healing memory of the God who became a child, and the hope that memory brings.

1 comment:
Yes, we are all on a journey and it's visits like this that make it enjoyable. Thank you! Have a wonderful week!
Post a Comment