Friday, July 24, 2020

Friday Favorites (vol. 5): an article, a stockpile, a shakerato, two gone beds, and a photo

A weekly roundup of a few of my favorite things ...

-1- Getting published

Kathy McCabe is the host and executive producer of the PBS travel series Dream of Italy. She also publishes an online magazine (subscription only) and recently asked readers to submit articles for a special summer edition of the magazine. I submitted an article and it was selected. Initially they were going to edit my article for length, but last week I received the following message: Hi Maria! I just wanted to let you know that Kathy loved your story so much that we have decided to run the longer version as a full page. It will be the only full page story in the issue! 

Well, now. Please as punch am I! Unfortunately, I cannot give a link to the magazine because it is subscription only, but if you visit the  Dream of Italy  website and become a member, you will have instant access to the magazine. I'm on page 3 ;-)



-2- Stockpiling Grissini

Some people hoard toilet paper. Or Clorox wipes. Me? I stockpile these boxes of grissini from Lidl. They don't have them all the time, but when they do ...

For lunch today I had roasted vegetables, a boiled egg, a chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano, and these grissini. So, so good. 



-3- A Cocktail Shaker for Coffee

During these dog days of summer, when I break out into a sweat just walking to my mailbox, I am not feeling my afternoon espresso. I want something cool! So instead I pull out my cocktail shaker and make myself a Caffe Shakerato. In Italy, as soon as the weather gets hot this cool espresso makes an appearance, often served in a chilled martini or wine glass. Like all good Italian recipes, the genius is in its simplicity. There are THREE ingredients: two shots of espresso, sugar, ice cubes.

Instructions: Brew the espresso and pour into the base of a cocktail shaker. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Then add ice cubes and shake vigorously until the shaker is frosted and an espresso foam is created. Strain into a chilled glass and serve. 



-4- Finding a Home

Recently we listed for sale a pair of antique twin beds. Now that the older boys are on their own, it was time to freshen up their room. The beds sold in two days to a family who wanted them for their two small sons. And as sad as it was to see them go, I am happy the beds will be used for another generation of brothers. 



-5- Photo of the Week: Time Passages

Little boys grow up. Who knew? Darn it. 


No comments: