It was just past midnight on a sweltering July in Washington. My friends and I had just spent the last few days exploring the nation’s capital, and on our last night we headed out after dark to see the monuments in all their illuminated glory.
We walked for miles in temperatures that hovered in the
mid-90’s, even at midnight. Starting near the Washington Monument, we walked around
the Tidal Basin to the Jefferson Memorial, then to the FDR Memorial, the Martin
Luther King, Jr. Memorial, the Korean War Veterans Memorial, and over to the Vietnam
Memorial. We saved the Lincoln Memorial for last.
Exhausted, we climbed those steps and stood in the glowing
lights that cast shadows on a pensive Lincoln looking across the reflecting
pool to the Washington Monument and beyond that, to the U. S. Capitol. A place
that was buzzing with tourists just a few hours earlier now echoed with our
footsteps, and we embraced the solitude and the silence.
It was the summer of American history because once we returned
home, I began reading Ron Chernow’s book, Hamilton. At 700+ pages it is
a hefty book, but I was fascinated to delve into the question of “Now what?”—the
question our Forefathers faced after the Revolutionary War. They had won the
battle against England, but now had to wage an entirely different battle of forming
a new government, one that reflected the ideals for which they had fought.
And make no mistake, it was a battle. The Constitution had
to be written, each word and phrase argued and considered and voted on. Everything
from our justice system to our banking system had to be established. Our Forefathers
did all this knowing that every decision, every treatise, every law, and every statute
carried the weight of a fledgling democracy and would reverberate through
future generations.
And here we are today. Considering the political division marking
this present election, it is easy to think this is unique to our times, but our
country has been through this before. Often. Take, for example, the election of
1800, which was particularly contentious and caused citizens to gather in public
squares to argue and protest. During that time, anyone could publish essays, verbal
attacks, or scathing accusations no matter how ridiculous or outrageous. None of
it had to be substantiated. Anyone could say Anything about Anybody.
And they could do so anonymously. You can imagine the discord, chaos, and vitriol.
Discord, chaos, and vitriol. Sound familiar?
This week my parents came over and, like most conversations
lately, the topic turned to politics: the good, but mostly the bad and the
ugly. “What’s wrong with people?” my father asked at one point. Then Timothy,
who at 16 years old is learning to form opinions, said he had THE ANSWER for
what was wrong with the political atmosphere today.
“This. This is what is wrong,” he said, and held up his
iPhone.
Welcome to the World of Instant Opinion. Through tweets, blogs, Facebook, or Instagram posts, Anyone can say Anything about Anybody. Opinions and commentaries are hurled into the wind with the touch of a button, and cell phone cameras are brandished as weapons, recording and broadcasting every brawl, traffic stop, argument, or civil unrest. The venue for fostering discord may be a little different than it was in Hamilton’s time, but the results are the same.
Alexander Hamilton once wrote that nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. Those words, written in 1787, are just as true today. Discouraging? Not really. If anything, this demonstrates that despite all the discord and chaos and vitriol, both yesterday and today, the Wheels of Democracy continue to turn. For over 200 years the system has worked. It is not perfect, but it works. Even when a desired outcome is not achieved, the system works.
And we need to trust it, for to do otherwise defies the democratic ideals upon which we stand.
So on the eve of this presidential election, I return to that sweltering
July night at the Lincoln Memorial. In the memory of that silence, while the city
slept and Lincoln pondered, I stand firm in the eye of this political hurricane
and take comfort that, no matter the outcome, it will be okay. Life will go on.
We will continue to work, and play, and argue, and love. The sun will continue
to rise and set.
And if you listen very carefully, you can hear the Wheels of
Democracy turning, turning, turning.
Let us, then, fellow-citizens, unite with one heart and one mind. Let us restore to social intercourse that harmony and affection without which liberty and even life itself are but dreary things.
~ Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, 4 March 1801


5 comments:
This is fascinatingly optimistic in the face of a great reminder of the American Civil War, which almost ended the American Experiment, and during a period of time where lawsuits are being piled up to try to prevent certain legal and legitimate votes from being counted.
Democracy, when under assault, only works as long as enough people *work* at it and fight the assaults (whether in courts, or against direct voter intimidation, or against the amazingly creative and multitudinous methods of voter suppression and gerry-mandering). Democracy, as we know it, is unlikely to continue to work if enough people pretend that it's *fine* really, even as amazingly mendacious and malicious forces act (some of them foreign!).
America isn't magic; our democracy isn't necessarily permanent. If most people assume it'll all work out well without our taking action or objecting to wrongdoing, it... likely won't.
Dear Anonymous,
Point taken, and I agree with everything you said. In choosing to confer a little hope, I was in no way downplaying the seriousness of the atmosphere of our country. Do I think our democratic ideals are magic? No. We are where we are today through sacrifice and hard work. Do I think the outcome of this election will be clear? Not immediately. Do I think there will be public unrest? Yes. Do I think that Democracy is under attacked, both domestically and nationally? Absolutely.
But the spirit with which this post was written was to provide a little optimism during a time when we are bombarded with doom, gloom, pessimissm, and fear ... all of which can be real, but also forced down our throats. So I stand by my post; it may be overly, naively, (stupidly?) optimistic, it may be hopeful when we should be combative, but it is also a reminder to take a deep breath take comfort and inspiration from the good that still exists in our country.
I wish you peace.
Maria
Thank you for your gracious response. :-)
I do think being hopeful is, in general, a good thing; I was just responding to what sounded a lot like "we don't need to do anything in response to problems, it'll work out fine, it's American and it's resilient" complacency, which... doesn't work out very well if everyone goes for that option when things are being destroyed. Yet it *looks* so much like a good option - sometimes it even looks like the real "Christian" not-being-anxious option - and it can be very tempting. But we're called to action as well as faith; to justice as well as mercy. And in terms of America, it can be broken further (I mean: I think it started partly broken, and it's had better times and worse times; but there's nothing about America that inherently forces things to get better again once they get to a specific degree of brokenness; they can just get worse), or it can be repaired and re-forged in good ways, and that depends to some degree on human action, resolution, and determination.
That said, empires fall, but God remains, so it's also not the end of the world until it is the end of the world. :-)
Dear Anonymous,
I have enjoyed this conversation thread, and I thank you. Civil discourse is still an art!
I never meant to imply complacency, or that all things would work out if you stand back and let them. I am an optimistic person, but not THAT optimistic. I know the problems, I see the problems, and I face the problems. Absolutely. And as you mention, sometimes even our faith calls to action.
But I think there is a precarious line between a battle cry and being caught up in a mob frenzy. This is why I was pleading caution. This is why I mention the eye of the hurricane in order to be strong and stand firm and not let the craziness around us make us believe, see, and do things that is contrary to our core beliefs.
I think we're on the same page here, just with two different perspectives.
Peace, and let us pray for tomorrow.
Maria
I totally agree that mob frenzy is a Bad Plan (and also agree with your original post that social media has done bad things to this)(I mean: along with certain people working very hard to make people not believe that there *are* credible, factual source, which is maddening to me as a pro-working-together, pro-durable-society nerd, because who *knows* how long it'll take for that to get detangled; there are so many things it's easier to break than to build).
And yes! Nothing is worth not being Christian; for instance, if we start thinking we should maybe be lying or repeating lies because it's "effective" towards our "goals" - nope. Father of lies: not a good person to have on your side. And fear is also not our friend; although awareness of risks and working to make the house not burn down are both good, they're different from fear, and we've got a lot of fear going on. And there's also plenty about all the wrong ways to be angry in. But we can never abdicate whatever responsibility we do have for reducing corruption and perversion (even if our only capabilities are publicly stating that these things are not right) and that's a ticklish thing to accomplish without falling off one side or another.
Thank you for your thoughts and your heart! :-)
Post a Comment