Dear God,
I’m sorry for my mind wandering during Mass.Instead of focusing on the liturgy, my focus was on the little three-month-old baby asleep on his grandfather’s shoulder. They were sitting directly in front of us, and I watched the baby’s chest rise and fall with the sweet sleep of an innocent. And my mind wandered …
to the memory of nursing our son in the darkness before dawn, those times some of the most peaceful of my life;
to the feel of a baby’s breath when you hold them close;
to a baby’s trusting look when I bathed him or changed his diaper;
and to the wonder of our three babies, now grown, healthy and strong.
And then the little baby in front of me at Mass stirred, lifted his head, and looked directly at me. He smiled. When his grandfather gently rocked and patted his back, the baby put his head down and fell back asleep. And my mind wandered …
to babies living in poverty and squalor;
to babies who are sick and battling diseases that should not be part of a baby’s world;
to babies who are unloved and unwanted;
and to babies who are denied life.
So, God, I was not as attentive during Mass as I should have been. I was distracted, and I allowed my mind to wander. But God, I can’t help feeling you know my heart and that you recognized my wayward thoughts as prayers ...
for babies yesterday, today, and tomorrow;
for babies loved and unloved;
for babies yet unborn;
and for the wonder and awe of Creation and the Gift of Life.

No comments:
Post a Comment