Friday, January 24, 2020

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

Now that I've got you humming the song, let's talk parsley.

It's one of those herbs I like to have on hand, and fresh is best.

Now, I don't have a herb garden, so I can't just snip off what I need. And the only potted herb I sometimes keep is basil. But here's what I do to ensure I always have fresh parsley to add to recipes or to use as garnish ...

I buy several huge bunches of parsley, rinse, pluck off the leaves, and pulse them in the food processor until roughly chopped. Then I pack the chopped parsley in a container and keep it in the freezer where it stays fresh and maintains its vibrant green color.

Chopped, fresh parsley always on hand--simply remove the container from the freezer and, with a fork, scrape off the amount needed.

Take last night, for instance. I made cauliflower soup (a favorite in our family that, really, is more like a risotto) and before serving I added some fresh parsley.

An honest laborious Country-man, with good Bread, Salt, and a little Parsley, 
will make a contented Meal with a roasted Onion. 

~John Evelyn (1620-1706)





2 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I love the song too and now I'm humming it! Have a wonderful weekend!!

Gigi said...

I've never heard of that song so I escaped the ear worm; except I'm curious and may not have the wherewithal to stop myself from Googling it.

This is a great tip! I have shared it with The Husband as he always complains about cilantro. He loves to have it on hand but it always goes bad before he can use it all.