Monday, January 27, 2020

The All-Purpose Mediterranean Topper

Sometimes, a little prepping now leads to infinite possibilities during the week. 

For example, my All-Purpose Mediterranean Topper. Let me show you what I can do with four basic ingredients (plus salt & pepper and a simple dressing) that I keep stored in the refrigerator ...


All-Purpose Mediterranean Topper


Ingredients:

diced tomatoes
diced sweet peppers
diced cucumbers
fresh parsley

Combine ingredients. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. 

Now here's the fun part. When I dice the ingredients into smaller pieces, I like to use the topper as garnish (with chicken or fish), a bruschetta topping, or even in a cold pasta salad. If I cut the ingredients into chunkier pieces, I will use the topper as a vegetable side dish or tossed in a mixed salad. It's also great for a light lunch with a piece of Parmigiano Reggiano and a bottle of sparkling water.

Oh, and you can mix the topper with tuna for the best tuna salad ever.

See? The possibilities are endless.

For a dressing I like to use freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper. But you can also use your favorite bottled Italian salad dressing. Just remember to go light on the dressing--think complement and not hostile takeover.

Together, these four basic ingredients taste light and fresh; sometimes, if I want a little kick, I will add a diced red onion.

No comments: