Once Upon a Time I was traveling with a medical team to Haiti when we stopped in a small village for a quick break. As I was wandering around, I came across a woman removing a loaf of bread from an open campfire. She saw me, broke off a chunk, and with a smile offered it to me.
And I hesitated to take it.
In the months leading up to our departure we had attended training sessions to prepare us for traveling in a third world country. We were given immunizations, a bottle of anti-malarial medication, and a list of do's and don'ts that were whittled down to this: Do NOT drink the water and Do NOT eat food that isn't cooked by a member of the staff.
So when the woman offered me a chunk of bread, all those training sessions, the bitter-tasting anti-malarial pills, and the warnings of dirty tap water and contaminated food converged in that moment and...
I reached out and took what she offered. Because it was all she had.
And so we broke bread together.
And so we broke bread together.
A sacrifice in which he gave us everything he had. His body, blood, soul, and divinity.
The act of giving from a place of nothing, the love that comes from a complete emptying out of everything, takes on greater meaning when we step forward to take what is offered. And during Mass, when I go forward to receive what was given to each and every one of us, as I accept the precious gift that comes from a wellspring of sacrifice and love, I will remember that woman.
And I will feel grateful that Once Upon a Time in a remote village somewhere in Haiti, God's grace showed me how to be fully present in the moment so I could reach out to take what was offered.
The act of giving from a place of nothing, the love that comes from a complete emptying out of everything, takes on greater meaning when we step forward to take what is offered. And during Mass, when I go forward to receive what was given to each and every one of us, as I accept the precious gift that comes from a wellspring of sacrifice and love, I will remember that woman.
And I will feel grateful that Once Upon a Time in a remote village somewhere in Haiti, God's grace showed me how to be fully present in the moment so I could reach out to take what was offered.

No comments:
Post a Comment