Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Finding God in the Ordinary and Mundane

Ordinary and mundane. That's how I've been thinking about life lately. There's not a lot of excitement; rather, there is not a lot of GOOD excitement because bad excitement ... there is plenty of that. Sometimes it feels as if I am either wafting through an ever present smog of ______ (fill in the blank), or holding my breath waiting for a better tomorrow.

If I'm being honest, though, there is a lesson here. I can allow myself to get caught up in a tide of worldly concerns, or I can embrace this time as an opportunity to bloom where I am planted. American theolgian Frederick Buechner once said that a sense of emptiness and unease can be the sound of God's voice in a world that has explained him away; that the sense of unease, that longing for something more, means finding God in the unknown.
And so I will find my way ... even in the ordinary and mundane. 

No comments: